Saturday 28 March 2015

Doll clothes in the hoop

I recently shared some doll accessories I made and how it is a friend who is into making clothes for her dolls that started me on that path.

What I didn't mention - is that I learned to sew because I wanted to make doll clothes.  I was 7 and figured out how to use the machine by watching my mother.

Last night I was looking at free patterns available on the internet and wondering what things I could make fully or partially in the hoop.

Mitts and Touque


I found a cute little pattern for mitts and a touque from Many Small Friends.  I decided to digitize what parts I could in the hoop.

First up the mitts:
1: Stitches out the basic mitt pattern


2: Embroiders a snowflake
3: Add another layer of fleece and stitches out cutting line and the ribbing pieces.




Next up the toque:  5 pieces for the top 

Step1: stitches a fold line (on the very left) - the rest of the rectangle is just to keep the fleece in place
Stitches cutting line for the front piece 
Step 2: Stitches the snowflake on the front




Step 3: Fold over the fabric on the left on the fold line and stitches the cutting out lines:
  • one top section on fold (at left), 
  • 2 sets of top sections
  • 1 hat band on fold







Step 4: Stitching lines 
  • sews 2 sets of top sections together - will end up with 2 sections with 2 and a separate single section
  • sews the hat band together.



My friend did the rest of the stitching.   The hat worked perfectly - but because I wasn't careful about how I put the fleece in the hoop for the mitts - the stretch was in the wrong direction - so they don't fit properly (don't stretch to fit over her thumb) - so I have to go back to the drawing board on that one.




Beret

This was stitched entirely in the hoop.   Not at all hard to digitize - just some circles for cutting lines - and another circle to stitch the two layers together.



Dress Bodice

I wanted to investigate making a doll bodice in the hoop - the possibilities for interesting edge finishes are endless.   I made a pattern for a full bodice that would result in a lined bodice in just a little bit of stitching.

I didn't take any pictures of the stitching out, but I did take a picture of the design on my computer screen.


This is a picture of the first fitting of the bodice.


Now to try some fancy edging...










No comments:

Post a Comment